Friday, October 23, 2009

Azorean-"What is that!?"

Most people want to know what my ethnic background is.  When I tell them that I am half Azorean a lot of people do not know what that is.  The Azores are really a melting pot.


The first settlers were a mixed group of people from the Portuguese provinces of Algarve and Minho. Also, Madeirans, Moorish prisoners, black slaves, French, Italians, Scots, English, and Flemings were among the early settlers. There were petty criminals, Spanish clergy, Jews, soldiers, government officials, European merchants and sugar cane growers.

So there you have it...this is half of what I am.  Half of...everything!  No wonder I always feel like I fit in everywhere I go!

This is where I get my dark skin and hazel eyes but still have a natural honey brown hair that gets sunbleached in the sun!  A good percentage of the population in the Azores have beautiful hazel or green eyes with dark skin.  And the hair varies from very dark and kinky to very light and straight. 

The history of the Azores is very rich, the food is good and fresh.  I love the Azores.  I feel so at home there.  I would be happy to live the rest of my life there!  It is beautiful with a nice climate, similar to Santa Barbara California. 

If you ever get the chance and especially if you are a photographer you should really check it out!  SO BEAUTIFUL!
Gaby

No comments:

Post a Comment